Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Credit Reporting Companies

From: "Fugett, Julie C" <jcf () KU EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:44:40 -0600

When I do presentations, I always stress these points:

*
        annualcreditreport.com is the only site you should be using (the
sound and look-alikes are all subscription based scam artists)
*
        the credit reporting agencies can and will try to sell you
things (FICO scores, monitoring, insurance, etc)
*
        you do not need to give anyone your credit card number to obtain
your free credit report

I would be very curious to find out which site this individual used.  I
just saw a reply referencing ftc.gov/freereports--I have only used (and
only advocate) annualcreditreport.com.  Sounds pedantic, but I haven't
gotten into trouble with it yet, nor have any of my workshop attendees
reported trouble.

Julie C. Fugett, CISSP, CCE
Information Security Analyst
IT Security Office, A division of Information Services
The University of Kansas
1001 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence Kansas 66045
http://www.security.ku.edu <http://www.security.ku.edu/>