Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Is anyone using a "Tape Buy back" for their tapes?

From: Clyde Hoadley <hoadleyc () MSCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:50:34 -0700

We've been approached by a company that is offering to
buy back our old magnetic tapes.  They will clean
them overwrite them, purge them, inspect them, then
resell them.

I've never heard of such a thing.  We have been
sending them off to be totally destroyed ($1/lb.)

Is anyone participating is such a tape buy back
program?  And, what are the risks, pro's, con's etc.
of such a service?

--
---
Clyde Hoadley, CISSP, GSEC