Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Microsoft the source of all evil?? Simple question

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:08:30 -0500

I went looking for more documentation on Powershell on Google.

The string that I used was "guide powershell"

It came back with

Download details: Windows PowerShell 1.0 Documentation Pack
<http://thesource.ofallevil.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B4720B00
-9A66-430F-BD56-EC48BFCA154F&displaylang=en>
<http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/ofallevil.com?ref=safesearch&client_ve
r=FF_26.5_6256&locale=en-US&premium=false&aff_id=0>

Documentation of Windows PowerShell 1.0, which includes the Windows
PowerShell Getting Started Guide, the Windows PowerShell Primer, the
Windows PowerShell ...
thesource.ofallevil.com/.../details.aspx?FamilyId=B4720B00-9A66-430F-BD5
6-EC48BFCA154F&displaylang=en - 31k -

Note the URL.

Not having had my 2nd cup of coffee, and also trusting McAfee's
SiteAdvisor(tm) , I clicked on it.

The result looks surprisingly like a Microsoft site.  The URL doesn't.

Anyone know more about "ofallevil.com".  Whois shows it in Bellevue, WA,
but it is privacy protected.

http://thesource.ofallevil.com/en/us/default.aspx looks very Microsoft.

http://www.ofallevil.com/ returns a blank page.

Jim

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 475-4208 (lab)
(585) 475-7950 (fax)

"We will have a chance when we are as efficient at communicating
information security best practices, as hackers and criminals are at
sharing attack information"  - Peter Presidio

Confidentiality Notice:  Do the right thing.  If this has the words
"Confidential" or "Private" in the subject line, or similar language in
the email body, or as a label on any attachment, then think.  Do you
know me?  Did you expect to receive this?  Do you recognize and work
with the other addressees?  If not, then you probably received this in
error.  Please, be respectful and courteous, and delete it immediately.
Please, don't forward it to anyone.

Now, wasn't that simple.  Just, if you had made an error in a sensitive
email, and I received it, what would you want me to do with it?