Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Securing / erasing hard drives in copiers?

From: "Bruggeman, John" <jbruggeman () HUC EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:28:59 -0500

Hello -
  I was asked by my COO to check into securing / erasing any hard drives
in photo copiers in the business office.  I can understand that with
newer copiers that have PDF and email options that they could and
probably do have hard drives, but I've not seen a protocol for that
discussed here before.  I did Google the topic and I saw a Fox News link
that I think prompted my boss asking, and some other similar reads, but
no protocol or list of "secure" photo copiers.

Fox News:

CSO Article:
http://www2.csoonline.com/blog_view.html?CID=32481

Has anyone developed a protocol or practice for erasing / securing a
photo copier?

I will summarize the results for the group by Friday (2/15) and see what
the consensus is from this list.

Thank you for your help -
John

John Bruggeman      Director of Information Systems
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
Cincinnati   *  New York * Los Angeles * Jerusalem
jbruggeman () huc edu   www.huc.edu