Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: strange campus "surveys"

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:22:09 -0800

Well, all the domains are owned by:

Tech Organization:NameCheap.com
Tech Street1:8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 -
Tech Street2:732
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Westchester
Tech State/Province:CA
Tech Postal Code:90045
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.6613102107
Tech Phone Ext.:

Registrant Contact:
   NameCheap.com
   NameCheap.com NameCheap.com (support () NameCheap com)
   +1.6613102107
   Fax: +1.6613102107
   8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732
   Westchester, CA 90045
   US

Sounds like one of those sleazy outfits that try to build sites that look like your school, but just used to lure
students in and inundate them with loan come-ons and credit card scams. The email is probably a first pass recruiting
tool. Once they get students to bite, they then turn those students into recruiters or "opinion leaders." Yeah, the BS
meter should be pegged hard 'bout now. I would treat it like any other SPAM and filter it.
Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100