Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Addresses Changes in IT

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:44:33 -0700

Kevin,

 While I agree that the government often confuses identification with
authentication, I'm wondering where you see that in this document. For
example, I found this section which seems to indicate a reasoned
approach and question to the community (p. 24):

"As noted above, single-factor
authentication of identity, such as a
standard form user name combined with
a secret password or PIN, may not
provide reasonable protection for access
to all types of education records or
under all circumstances."

 The meat of the issue is on page 3:

"Proposed Regulations: The proposed
regulations would provide that an
educational agency or institution may
not designate as directory information a
student's SSN or other student ID
number. However, directory information
may include a student's user ID or other
unique identifier used by the student to
access or communicate in electronic
systems, but only if the electronic
identifier cannot be used to gain access
to education records except when used
in conjunction with one or more factors
that authenticate the student's identity,
such as a personal identification
number (PIN), password, or other factor
known or possessed only by the student."

 It seems to me like they are addressing the issue reasonably well, and
taking head-on the problem of Student ID numbers, which has been a
subject of some debate over the years.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College