Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Multi User Computing

From: Jeff Howlett <howlettj () MEREDITH EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:56:14 -0400

Jason

We are just setting up our pilot of Ncomputing and so far there have been
zero complaints about the technology and use.  In fact, I have never seen IT
professionals (myself included) more excited about a technology.  We tested
the X300's and the L230's prior to the pilot and we chose the network aspect
of the L230's because they fit all of the locations we need across the
network.  The X300's we had setup and fully working in less than 30min out
of the box, but did not suit what I plan to do with the technology after the
pilot. (Replace all public use computers in the first wave, second wave labs
and library, and third wave faculty and staff desktops)

I will pass on the questions to the project lead and get back with you, but
the comments I have heard have only been how much more secure this will be
and how much easier it will be to manage compared to what we have on the
campus now.

Jeff

Jeffrey R. Howlett
Chief Information Officer