Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus for MAC.

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 00:47:16 -0500

All-

We too have been using Sophos AV for all our PC and Mac clients, as well
as a limited quantity of student licenses.

We have found the product to be quite stable (it has improved quite a
bit from a few years ago) and effective at identifying malware.  We are
just now getting into the more centralized console aspect of the 7.x
version (Windows) but so far like the feature set and aggregate data
logging it provides.

--
Jeff Giacobbe
Director of Systems, Security, Networking

Mark Borrie wrote:
We have been using Sophos for the Mac for some years. In the early days
we also had Virex but most depts now utilise our site license for SAV.

SAV for the Mac is not as up to date with features as Windows versions,
but then nor is the linux version. The detection signatures are however
identical.

The same reporting console is used for Windows and Macs.  This has
interesting results with dual booting Intel Macs. We are resolving this
with different IPs depending on which OS starts up.

Overall I think our users are happy with the product.

Mark

Halliday,Paul wrote:
We currently maintain about 5000 installations of McAfee's VirusScan for
Windows which we manage with ePO. We had been using Virex for the Macs
up to a few months ago when our licensing expired. Virex was terrible
and without an on access scanner, not really useful. With that, we have
been shying away from the renewal process.

It looks like 8.6 for MAC is almost out of beta and does have an on
access scanner.

Before I move forward I would be interested in hearing what products
others are using and what their experiences have been.

Thanks.
-p