Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty and Staff IT Security Awareness

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:16:30 -0500

Since Massachusetts recently passed a data breach law, we've gotten
some attention when we reference that new law. ('We' meaning the PII
program, which is jointing sponsored by IT and Audit; we've also had
HR and Legal input)  We've been doing a number of departmental visits
- to the administrative officer, staff meetings and various standing
group meetings.  We make it very non-IT and try to focus on the kinds
of work that those areas might be doing, and what behaviors might be
risky.  When folks have a chance to talk about what they are doing,
and how that might be a risk, especially related to their own work,
they seem to get engaged and we've had some positive feedback.  Too
soon to tell if it will have any long range impact.

Allison F. Dolan
Program Director, Protecting Personally Identifying Information
MIT
(617) 252-1461