Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Was, RE: Firewall recommendations

From: Dan Oachs <doachs () GAC EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:31:58 -0600

For our relatively small campus and our 100Mbit internet and 1gig
internet2 connection we are using a linux system running CentOS5 and
modify all the iptables entries by hand.  It is not all that interesting
but we have been using a setup like that for about 4 years now and has
worked very well for us.  Very flexible and has allowed us to do pretty
much everything we have ever wanted to do for the price of a small server.

   Thanks,
      Dan Oachs
      Gustavus Adolphus College

Halliday,Paul wrote:
Has anyone here tried implementing a border firewall solution that is ! commercial? Internally I rely heavily on OpenBSD's
(running on FreeBSD) Packet filter for numerous IDS/network monitoring sensors. At the same time I maintain our EOL PIX
515's.

I have always had a hard time understanding how the latter actually has market value. Is anyone doing neat stuff with
free stuff?