Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: paloalto firewall

From: Alex <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:48:29 -0500

I thought I might add to the speculation :)
The key (I hope) issue is that the end-user (Client) will need to be
prevented with a valid SSL cert.
The SSL Cert is tied to a host, typically a fully qualified domain name.
Of course, for #2 you must be in the flow of traffic (active).

It seems you could do this a few ways:
Passive or Active
1. Have the private keys for all sites using SSL
        a. Decrypt PKI messages to obtain symmetric keys
        b. Decrypt messages encrypted with the symmetric key.

Active
2. Have the man-in-the-middle present the end-user with a valid certificate
        a. Act as a proxy for SSL connectionsby establishing two seperate
SSL sessions.
        b. DNS points to man-in-the-middle as the web server (or just drop
end-user's traffic and spoof responses)
        b. Present the end-user with a valid certificate (maybe a wildcard
cert)
        c. Most servers dont require the client to have cert, so act as a
client to the web-server(s). Here you are creating sessions to the real
web-server.
        d. Pass data back and forth between client and server.

Comments?

-Alex