Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re:

From: David Kovarik <david-kovarik () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:03:19 -0600

Kevin - Seems to me that you "found the balance" required, it's just doesn't
happen to be the balance the faculty member wants...
Couple of things to consider...
- Does this FM retain personally identifiable information as defined by law
or UC policy?  Illinois has the Personal Information Protection Act which
defines what is subject to notification in the event of a security breach.
We also have a university policy on handling of SSNs.  Neither require
encryption (though that may change soon) but recommend it as a practice, and
the documents help get their attention.
- Can it be shown that the FM has sensitive data stored on PC? We've used
Cornell's Spider to discover and show where this data resides; helps to
establish the "need" for protection. We have found individuals who thought
they had no data but were shown otherwise - that helped them to adapt to
policy, or at least appreciate the need for compliance. Maybe cut a deal -
if no sensitive data found, no need for encryption; if data is found, get
rid of it or encrypt.
- The FM's dean may be able to provide some assistance, especially where
this is a matter of policy -or- just good sense.
- Assuming data is present, and you have a basis in fact for protecting it
(like policy, regulation or a recent security incident), then I'd suggest
discussing the "noncompliance" position with the provost, and/or human
resources and/or general counsel and/or internal audit and ask for guidance
(I know that our lawyers are not at all keen on having someone in the
university's employ who knowingly places them at risk).  You might consider
asking any/all of them to put their collective support behind a "you will
and will not" statement you'll be happy to draft for them - that might help
sway recalcitrant faculty (or not).  We have not yet had to do this but on a
similar issue, I had one of the attorneys suggest having the non-compliant
party sign a document indicating assumption of risk (never came to pass so I
don't know how that might work out).

After all is said and done, if nobody wants to do anything about it, you can
continue to bang your head against the wall (not recommended) or document
all that you've done and e-mail that to provost/hr/legal/audit and move on -
and hope that this particular FM doesn't get compromised.  Frankly, I'd
rather everyone abide by policy but sometimes there's no convincing people
otherwise.

Good luck!
Dave Kovarik, ISS/C
Northwestern University