Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanning and reporting software

From: Adam Goldstein <adam.goldstein () DARTMOUTH EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:37:25 -0500

At Dartmouth, we have developed a vulnerability assessment process based
on Nessus and are getting ready to release an open-source Nessus
analysis console (Achilles) that we developed in-house.

I have used Nessus for a long time but found it challenging to work with
results from a large number of hosts.  With Achilles, we manage results
for over 8000 hosts and have a front-end console that sys-admins and
other folks can use to review and update info on the findings for the
systems they manage.

Among other features, it also provides a customizable ranking method
that helps assign severity ratings for a particular institution.  For
those who may be interested, I will send out an announcement to the
group when we make the project available.

- Adam

--
Adam Goldstein
Dartmouth College

David Taylor wrote:

Hi all,

As everyone else we have various systems on our campus that either
provide critical infrastructure, hosts some kind of sensitive data,
etc. We call these Critical Hosts and have a database to keep track of
them.

We would like to take a more proactive step in ensuring they are
up-to-date with patches (OS and 3rd party), identify weak passwords
and other weaknesses.  We are a decentralized campus for the most part
and dont have a campus-wide Active Directory infrastructure.

Our Critical Hosts run various operating systems which include
Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux and Mac  OS X. We are hoping to find a
solution that will be compatible on these platforms and have the
ability to send alerts to a central console so that we can check the
status of each system on a monthly (or on demand) basis.

We had eEye Digital come out to give us a presentation on their Retina
and REM console.  I was hoping that some of you might have some
suggestions for other Vendors that do this type of thing.  We would
like to get a list together and compare functionality and cost then
maybe evaluate.

We would appreciate any suggestions.

- -------------------------------
David Taylor
University of Pennsylvania
Office of Information Security
215-898-1236

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that
any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.