Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Limewire 4.14

From: Alex Everett <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:03:10 -0400

Michael:

I would test dropping the traffic.
I say this because there were cases where we thought we were rate shaping
because connections were showing up in the table - however not all
appropriate connections were rate limited. There are nuances between
different client side applications for the P2P apps such as bittorrent.exe
and utorrent.exe. This causes different network traffic patterns.
Some of these P2P apps are very ingenious at establishing connections to
peers.
If you can block it successfully, you should be able to rate limit it.
It seems that the file transfers are over TCP and some support TLS.
Let us know how it works, I am sure others are interested too.

-Alex