Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Blocking POP3 and IMAP

From: "Hammon, Gary" <ghammon () STONEHILL EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:16:16 -0400

I recently joined the Security listserv, and searched the archives looking for any trend regarding blocking inbound
POP3 and IMAP.

We think we have finally moved beyond any 'business need' to allow these protocols for email. We have an Exchange
environment that has web access etc., but there are a small number of folks who simply prefer not to change.

I am hoping that I can say that it would be a best practice to eliminate the POP3 and IMAP protocols.

I am hoping that other institutions have already started to eliminate the protocols, or know that it is a good
idea/best practice to eliminate these protocols (ignoring the political firestorm of course!).

Thank you for any feedback on this,

Gary

Gary Hammon
CIO