Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email signing and encryption

From: Georgia Killcrece <georgia () CERT ORG>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:09:37 -0400

Oh, I guess I shoulda signed this, eh? :)

Georgia Killcrece wrote:
Gudena,

There are a wide number of groups that use PGP/GPG for just this
purposes--in the global CSIRT community (www.first.org), it is
the "defacto" secure communications method.

The CERT Program has been utilizing this method for secure
communications since the very early releases of PGP (even back
to PEM [privacy enhanced mail]) to the GPG versions :)

Many of the CSIRT community now have our business cards printed
with our fingerprints right on the card to aid in extending our
web of trust in that community.

georgia

Gudena, Chandragupta wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone using GnuPG (Gnu Privacy Guard) or PGP for digital signing and
email encryption purposes? If not are there any other solutions that are
being used? I would like to know your experience/ suggestions .

Thanks.

Chandragupta

Hi,

Is anyone using GnuPG (Gnu Privacy Guard) or PGP for digital signing and
email
encryption purposes? If not are there any other solutions that are being
used? I
would like to know your experience/ suggestions .

Thanks.

Chandragupta

- --

Georgia Killcrece

CERT(R)-Certified Computer Security Incident Handler
CSIRT Development Team
CERT(R) Program
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1-412-268-5760
Fax: +1-412-268-6989

Key ID: 0xFA1A135E
Fingerprint: 0089 77C6 5BEB 810A 1C35 96A5 47A8 F036 FA1A 135E

http://www.cert.org/
http://www.cert.org/csirts/
http://www.cert.org/training/

The CERT Coordination Center is part of the Software Engineering
Institute (SEI). The SEI is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense.