Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA timestamps off

From: Rick Coloccia <coloccia () GENESEO EDU>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 07:26:19 -0400

We got 14 these past two weeks.  Very frustrating, since we use a packet
shaper and an Audible Magic box to minimize this kind of traffic.  (All
14 were for encrypted protocols...) In every single case, the student
admits, "Yes I use limewire/ares/etc" and "Yes I have that song" so
while the timestamps may well be off we don't think that's a significant
issue with regard to these takedown notices.  Our students admit to the
file sharing (but most claim they don't know that the same program that
lets them get the song re-shares it to the world), they get their stern
warning, and life goes on.  I realize that there are technical
differences between "making available" and someone "actually
downloading" the song via a p2p program, but with my students the
difference isn't truly significant.  We bring students in, teach them
the highlights of the dmca, insist they uninstall any p2p software,
explain how the takedown notice affects them as a Geneseo student (If we
receive a second takedown notice on their behalf, they'll meet the Dean
of Students who will likely start a process that can only end in
suspension or expulsion) and send them on their way.  It works for us.

I'm not taking the side of the riaa, just sharing my experiences having
done this for years now, since the very first one...

-Rick