Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Acceptable Use Policies.

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:03:37 +1000

Hi all,

Matthew Gracie wrote:
We're looking for a way to compel users to agree to revisions in our
AUP; right now, we simply update it on the web page and email the users
to urge them to go there, but we'd like to have a little more
accountability on an account-by-account level.

Unfortunately, we don't have any sort of campus portal, so that's not an
option. Also, since we're a very heterogeneous network (with Windows,
Mac, and Linux endpoints) we'd need something platform neutral.

The same as Roger and Cal, at QUT staff and students have to agree to
abide by the Information Faculty Rules (schedule 1) every time they
change their central account password, which is every 60 days.  Staff
and students have to use their central account to access any major IT
resource, like a lab computer, email, staff/student information portal etc.

Our password change process is done via a web portal, which hasn't
experienced any problems on win/mac/*nix platforms.

Cheers,
--
Greg Vickers
IT Security Engineer & Project Manager