Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows "Run As" Command

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:56:46 -0700

Absolutely, Harold! In addition, using RunAs or CPAU.exe to access
administrator privileges with locally stored credentials (as in CPAU's
-profile option) in text files is probably not a good idea, as that
exposes those credentials in the limited user context.

If you practice least privilege, even your system and network admins
would work from a limited user account and only access local or domain
administrative privileges using RunAs.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)