Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Register NOW for FIRST Conference in Spain and save US$300

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:23:29 -0500

For many years I've both been involved with FIRST and attended
their conferences.  I, unfortunately, won't be able to attend
this year, but I wanted to share the information.  I've always
received a lot of valuable information at the conferences.

--

Around four hundred of the world's top computer and Internet security
practitioners will be coming to Spain this Summer for the 19th annual

Held at Seville's Melia Sevilla Hotel from June 17-22, the conference
has chosen as its theme the hazards and responsibilities of digital
privacy, under the banner "Private Lives and Corporate Risk."

Registering early will give you substantial savings. You save US$300 by
booking before April 25

After April 25 the registration fee will revert to full price: US$2200 (US$2000 for members).

So Book now ....

You can register online at
http://www.first.org/conference/2007/registration/index.html

We have tried to make this conference even better than previous
ones by taking it back to its technical roots and to increase
opportunities for training and knowledge transfer.

Keynote speakers at the conference include ENISA Executive
Director Andrea Pirotti; Lord Toby Harris, the UK Home Secretary's
appointee on the Metropolitan [London] Police Authority;
Francisco Garcia MorĂ¡n, Director General of DG Informatics
for the European Commission; Mary Ann Davidson, Oracle's Chief
Security Officer; BT's futurologist Graham Whitehead; and
George Stathakopoulos, general manager of product security
for Microsoft.

FIRST will be continuing its practice of creating and hosting
"special interest groups" at the conference. At last year's
session in Baltimore, delegates from national security coordination
teams were combined with representatives from the major IT vendors
to iron out misunderstandings and inconsistencies of approach and
establish new protocols for co-operation, and another special interest
group was established combining international law-enforcers with
corporate internet response and security teams.

Lighter features of the 2007 conference programme include "Beer'n'Gear"
sessions, with vendors and providers demonstrating new equipment
over refreshments in a relaxed environment, and "GeekZone"
presentations with a hands-on format aimed at smaller, technical
audiences of up to 30 people.

An overview of the conference program can be seen at:
http://www.first.org/conference/2007/program/index.html

FIRST Program Chairs
Ian Cook (Pentest Ltd)
Arjen de Landgraaf (E-Secure-IT)

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.