Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Anti-Virus

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:59:45 +1200

Fowler, Steve wrote:
As a part of my review of potential Anti-Virus vendors I have been asked
to consider Open Source products as well.  Application names I am aware
of, Clam-AV, ClamWin, ClamXav, ClamShell, & KlamAV.
Are there others you have run across?

Questions:
 1. Are you currently using an Open Source AV product in your computing
environment?

 1a. If so, what product and in what application?

ClamAV on our linux based, capmus wide, smtp cluster (along side a
commercial product).  We find clamav has better detection  of phishing
and other scam emails than our commercial product.
 2. In selecting an Antivirus vendor have you or did you considered an
open source solution for the desktop?  Why or why not?

No -- To my knowledge none of the OS AV products have the sort of
'enterprise' management features that we need.  I'd be delighted to be
proved wrong here.

Russell