Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How much does disk encryption add to boot time?

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 08:01:51 -0700

No, not hours. The initial restart or reboot of a full-disk encryption
may take some time, depending on the size of the drive and the tool you
choose to use. My experience is that if I leave things alone, my laptop
can finished full encryption in a couple hours. After that boot time,
login and all is about the same as before. My recommendation is to test
a tool configuration a couple times before putting it into production.
Once you set a configuration (single-signon, what is encrypted, what
features are included, etc.) you have to undo the encryption to change
it. Decrypting, changing configuration, and re-encrypting _can_ take up
to four hours on an 80 gb drive. At least, that is the case in the tool
I'm using.

Otherwise, I don't see any significant difference in performance or
operation.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)