Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Websites Published via MS ISA

From: Michael Behun <behun () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:35:31 -0400

From past experience, cautiously use Domain Name Servers DNS to change IP
address for a short outage.  DNS Time To Live (TTL) is not followed by all
ISP, and some campus name servers.  I have seen hours pass before DNS cache
is updated by external ISP.  The effect is that during your outage a person
using Cable modem would not be able reach server (old DNS cache).  When your
server is up, their DNS server now is pointing to the "down for service" web
server.

Since your ISA server is using your internal name servers, which you
control, then DNS changes can be very useful.  You may also want to consider
using a failover setup.  If X server is not available, then the ISA redirect
service to backup server or "down for service" web server.  This setup is
nice when a server fails unexpectedly.

mike behun