Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: POP vs IMAP policy

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:18:31 -0500

You'll get substantial resistance from users who currently use POP to
avoid using up their quotas simply because they don't like deleting
old messages - unless you're prepared to give everyone a 10 GB
quota.  Also, wouldn't you want to do document retention by simply
storing all messages somewhere BEFORE the user has access to
them?  You insert a man-in-the-middle to store all incoming and
outgoing mail, and not worry about what happens to the messages when
the user has access.

You also might get a privacy backlash from users who stop using local
email, and either set up their own email servers or use free web mail
(which could actually worsen your situation).