Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web application security scanners

From: Steve Brukbacher <sab2 () UWM EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:48:01 -0600

Our auditors purchased Nexpose by Rapid 7 as a sort of all in one
vulnerability scanner.

http://www.rapid7.com/

Why did we buy it?  Well it does a little bit of everything.  HIPAA,
PCI, web apps, pen testing.  Does it do each as well as some specialized
products?  Maybe not but it's working well for us.

Its really easy to use too and does very nice reporting.
I have it set up to do regularly scheduled scans and it then emails
those to the server admins.

It also gives you the CVE for specific vulnerabilities and explains
general how-to's for fixing common vulnerabilities.

I could get you more info from our auditor if you are interested.

--
Steve Brukbacher, CISSP
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

Brad Judy wrote:
We're starting to look into web application security scanning tools and
I wanted to ping the group and see what people found when looking into
this for themselves and what motivated their selection.

After some initial digging, it looks like most people lean towards
Spidynamics' WebInspect or Watchfire's AppScan.  I plan on looking into
both of those.

Obviously, none of these products are the end-all-be-all of web app
security, but they do address the basic need of common web app coding
errors for an initial level of validation of both in-house developed
apps as well as pre-purchase testing of commercial apps.

So, what did you learn when looking into this space, what did you select
and why?

Thanks,

Brad Judy

IT Security Office