Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Yay" Malware

From: Scott Fendley <scottf () UARK EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:58:27 -0600

Heya Tim et al,

Thankfully we have not seen it on our campus as of yet.  However, I
do know from communication with the Internet Storm Center that a
sample has been sent to all of the major antivirus venders earlier in
the day.  I would expect that definitions will be out for the initial
variation of this malware soon.

After determining the attack vector/infection technique,  I would
typically reinstall or reimage the computer.  I may be a little
paranoid, but I really don't like not knowing positively what the
state of security really is after a compromise of this nature.

It would be great if any determination could be made as to what the
infection vector might have been.  Email, IM, website
download?   From the reports I have seen it seems the file that
appears to be part of the 1st stage infection is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\usb.exe.

Hopefully I will have more details in the morning that I can share.

Scott