Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Public networks under CALEA

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:34:31 -0700

  Our institution believes that we fall under the "public network"
provision of the FCC order that data networks are included in CALEA,
since we offer wireless access to the public.[1]

 I'm curious to know what other institutions, who have portions of their
data network that similarly are bound to CALEA, are doing to comply. Our
general interpretation at this point is that a dedicated SPAN switchport
dumping selected traffic to a workstation would be sufficient to comply.

[1]  The Application of CALEA to Higher Education Networks, ACE,
http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Section=HENA&Template=/CM/ContentD
isplay.cfm&ContentID=17276

Brian Basgen
IT Systems Architect, Security