Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SURVEY: Research Institutions / Border Firewalls

From: Deke Kassabian <deke () ISC UPENN EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:51:25 -0500

--On Monday, February 12, 2007 5:38 PM -0600 Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU> wrote:

Good day,

In part of proposing campus firewall solutions, we wish to include
some perspective on what other Research Universities are doing for
border firewalls.   Please reply directly to myself and I'll
summarize replies back to the list.  I will remove your identity
from your answer if you request it.

I'm primarily interested in what other research-focused institutions
are doing.

Let's see if this is controversial on this particular list  :-)

My tendency leans towards securing end-points, services, and data. I'm not much of a fan of drawing large perimeters and applying policy there.

After discussion with our security folks and network design folks, here's a set of answers for Penn. I'd be glad to hear discussion on these points.

1)      Do you require central server registration?

You might mean do we require registration of any machine acting as a server in any way. We don't do this, even in dorms. We do, however, require registration of machines storing critical data.

2)      Do you require VPN for off-campus access?
No.

3)      Do you have a firewall on your primary internet link?

No, other than router filters involving a small number of well-known service ports (maybe 5-10) and also simple IP spoof protections.

4)      Do you have a firewall on your I2/Research Links?

Same answer as above.

5)      Do you use primarily use [private] IP addressing?

No we use globally routable address space for the majority of endpoints.

6)      Is your IT structure centralized or decentralized?

A mix. Penn has many centrally provided IT services, including virtually all networking. Support and local services are provided by local IT staff.

7)      Do you use a web proxy or SOCKS?
No.

8)      What scenario best describes your firewall policy:
a.       "one size fits all"  (such as allow only port 80 and 443
traffic)
b.       customized in place; Don't have to change the IP address and
any services requested are allowed.
c.       customized DMZ": You can get whatever you want as long as
you
move your server into a DMZ.
d.      Other: Please describe

Our preference is to bring the protection mechanisms as close to the resource that needs protection as is possible. Then the protection (eg, a firewall policy) can be as customized as the application set requires.

9)      How do you handle folks doing videoconferencing or legitimate
peer-to-peer (BitTorrent Linux downloads)

We let them do it.

10)   Are there any things about your setup you would have done
differently with 20-20 hindsight?

No. Our network architects believe in open transparent networking and strong local security. We have a document on this at:
<http://pobox.upenn.edu/~deke/writing/fwatpenn.html>

Like many large research organizations, we run a very open network to promote research computing and innovation, and to preserve the end-to-end model that has made historical Internet innovation possible. Anecdotal data on rates of security problems indicate that our open network has no greater rate of security problems than those that use inline security mechanisms that break or badly compromise the end-to-end model.

We do use local firewalls in front of some server groups, and some workgroups firewall their local areas. But in most cases our security strategy is to harden the OS and the application. This has worked very well for a very long time for many of our most visible systems.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

--
Chris Green
UAB Data Security, 205-975-0842

Regards,

-------
Deke Kassabian,  Senior Technology Director
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania