Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Untrusted VLANs on Core Gear

From: "Raw, Randy" <rawr () MORE NET>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:47:35 -0600

This has been a good discussion, thanks for the different perspectives.

It raises another question that is potentially more troublesome, and
that is the Metro Ethernet that many ISPs now provide. Are they not also
using VLANs for separating traffic in the core of their networks? It
just doesn't seem feasible that they would have a physically separate
network for every customer. How do they keep overflow attacks from
happening on their networks?

Furthermore, it is much easier to run Ethereal/Wireshark to grab traffic
off of one of those VLANS than it is for capturing traffic off of an
OC-3/12/48. What keeps an ISP employee from illegally capturing your
data?  Do any of you have SLAs that address these sort of issues, or do
they keep you up at night?

Randy Raw, CISSP
MOREnet Manager, Network Security
3212 LeMone Industrial Blvd