Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vista

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:41:52 -0500

Reading the information about the secure Microsoft website service
provided to store
keys for retrieval of Bitlocker and EFS files it is apparent that
(possibly because the crypto
mechanisms for both are shared or linked to both) this 'digital
locker' (key escrow) also
appears related to Microsoft DRM (Digital Rights Management) in Vista
(keys and codes
for the activation/authorization for various software programs and
feature enhancements
can be kept online for a user or PC at this site as well).

        http://windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=302

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
  University Information Security Officer
  Director -- Information Security Office