Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Ongoing Port 6000 attacks, Windows Xserver Compromises, keyloggers

From: "James J. Barlow" <jbarlow () NCSA UIUC EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:16:19 -0600

Warren,

Good writeup and thanks for the info.  I just have a couple things to
add since what Brian Smith-Sweeney from NYU replied with is spot on to
what we have seen here at NCSA.

As for the sample binary or script that attacks port 6000, we caught
one of these scanning out of our network with a compromised account.
The malware that they were using was pretty basic (this may or may not be
similar to what was on your network).  A script runs a binary which would
do a scan given a network block and port then would put the open IP's
into a file.  Script then feeds those IP addresses into another binary
that would attach to port 6000 of the remote host and start keystroke
logging to a file.  The last script would check the keystroke files for
ssh, telnet, and rlogin attempts.

We have this package if you are interested, and have used it to scan
our network on occassion to see if there are open X-servers (and it's
amazing how many one can actually find).  We were just surprised that
they were not looking for more juicy stuff like SSH RSA passphrases,
PGP passphrases, or grid cert passphrases.