Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: Darnell Walker <Darnell.Walker () UTSOUTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:33:08 -0500

We do offer this connectivity for visitors of faculty & staff and also
for patients and family members in our hospitals.  We do require a
login, basically acknowledging that there is no encryption, and you are
using at your own risk. So if you accept that, you will get access.  The
password changes for patients and family members once a month and can be
retrieved via our voice recognition system. For campus visitors a
different  password is requested from the IR call center by faculty &
staff.   In the acknowledgement we do recommend the system be patched
and anti-virus software installed, even though there is no way to
enforce it.  Todate seems to be a solution and improves patient
satisfaction in the hospitals.

darnell

Darnell Walker, Jr.
Director, Network Services
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Tel:(214)648-8228 Fax:(214)648-6610
email:darnell.walker () utsouthwestern edu

Matt Arthur <arthur () WUSTL EDU> 09/28/06 10:48 AM >>>
Greetings,

We are in the process of adding a couple hundred of the new generation
centrally controlled wireless access points.  Our current system
requires a login and pw.  The new system requires the same.  We have
had
a discussion locally about adding a 'Guest' SSID that would not
require
a login and would ONLY provide access to web traffic.  Our main goal
is
to allow visiting faculty, staff, prospective students, and parents to
have a way to use their mobile device to check email via their yahoo
account, web portal, etc...  From a technical security point of view,
we
feel okay that folks won't be able to 'cross over' into our secure
SSID
area and if they download a virus/bot, it can't jump onto our network.
My questions and concerns are more towards the political and legal
side
of things.  Does anyone offer this type of wireless access?  If so,
are
there legal/political battles that you have either fought or stepped
around?  Or does everyone still require some form of authentication?

Thanks ahead of time!

Matt

Matthew K Arthur, CISSP

Director, NTS-Enterprise Networks