Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Public Access Library Ports (was Re: Open access to student labs

From: Chris Allison <allisoc () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:18:50 -0500

        It looks to me like Libraries got and FCC ruling and are
exempt.  See this link off of Educause's web site:
http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/WOissues/techinttele/calea/CALEAandcampus.pdf

At 01:42 PM 12/21/2006, Bill Betlej wrote:
Our Library wanted to lock it down. We do allow city residents to use the
College library. But those patrons can't have access to the paid for
bibliographic databases since they aren't a part of our FTE. So we created a
couple of Kiosk stations that can access the online card catalog, but are
blocked from all other web access. All other machines require the user to
log on.

Bill Betlej
Mary Baldwin College