Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Public Access Library Ports (was Re: Open access to student labs

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:16:13 -0500

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:21:05 PST, Samuel Young said:
We require our students and visitors to logon to our network everywhere.
There are a few computers in the library that allow public access, but we
are about to close that loop as well.

Often, librarians have cows and kittens when the network people threaten
to close that loophole (for reasons that are totally justified in their
world view).  What methods and/or reasoning did sites use to win the political
battle (or equally interesting, did the library win)?