Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: passworded screen savers with timeouts, why?

From: "Waller, Michael A. (HSC)" <Michael-Waller () OUHSC EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:13:44 -0600

We have a policy that requires users to lock their workstations when they step away. We use the password-protected
screensaver (after 10 minutes) as a backup when the user forgets. We require this on all workstations on campus, though
we have some exceptions here and there in clinical areas where the 10 minute time limit didn't make sense from a
patient flow perspective. We did have some users complain vehemently, but then we discovered that due to some power
management settings, the machines in question were actually going into sleep mode after a short time frame, which made
the process of logging back in take significantly longer. You might watch out for things like that during
implementation.

Mike Waller   CISSP
Information Technology, Information Security Services
The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail, including any attachments, contains information from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center,
which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and
destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.