Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

One network or two?

From: jkaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:55:59 -0500

How are you handling your ResNet?

Currently we are sharing our LAN hardware with the students.  We are
separated by VLANs and ACLs.  We also share a FW and a edge router.  There
are times when the student activity affects the admin side.  Also I am
always worried about security.

We are in the process of ordering a second ISP for redundancy.  This gives
me the option of completely separating our networks.  That would give me
greater security as students would have to go to the internet and through
the Admin firewall in order to access resources.

I am not sure if I should do that.  What are you doing and how does it work
for you?

Thanks.