Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory Data Model for University Business

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:31:03 -0700

William,

This is an area I've spent some time on.  ;-)

I think you'll find that most schools use a single OU (or single group
of OU's) for user objects that is separate from the OU structure that
parallels campus business organization (where computers, groups, GPOs,
etc would live).  Here's a basic diagram of how things look on this
campus:
http://www.colorado.edu/its/windows2000/itsresources/ADdesign.pdf

Since GPO's only apply to two types of objects (user objects and
computer objects - despite their name, they do not apply to groups),
then at first glance a department could only apply the computer portion
of a group policy object.  Luckily, Microsoft included a GPO function
called "loopback processing" which will apply the user component of a
GPO even when the user object is not located under the GPO.  This
essentially results in a user policy that doesn't follow the user
everywhere the user goes (which was part of the point of the user
portion), but it allows the user portion to apply.

Does this get at your question?

BTW: There are also schools who place users based on their primary
affiliation rather than the "everyone in one bucket" approach.

If you're looking into AD design issues, I also recommend checking in
with the Windows in Higher Education list (http://windows-hied.org/)
where a lot of AD discussion goes on.  We hold an annual conference and
some presentations from prior conferences are on the website.  Sometime
in the near future we should get the official list archive populated
too.

Brad Judy

University of Colorado at Boulder