Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ICMP blocking

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:32:07 -0800

  We allow what's needed for ping and traceroute to be useful
[echo request, echo reply, unreachables, and TTL exceeded].
We don't generally allow hosts to ping things they aren't allowed
to reach.
  We drop fragmented ICMP packets.  For a while, we were seeing
some exceptionally dimwitted DoS attempts that basically allocated
a ~64KB buffer and tried to repeatedly send it as ICMP payload.

  We recently had a security evaluation done that found the ICMP
"request timestamp" function was being permitted -- we've now blocked
it.  I'm not certain what the actual vulnerability is there, except
perhaps to identify hosts that aren't using NTP and so are drifting
out of sync.

David Gillett