Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: windows AV policy support

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:37:11 -0500

To answer your specific question...you need a mechanism that is
technically able to check for some list of things.  So it depends on
your current technology.  We use CCA and it works reasonably well at
detecting a substantial list including if the product is running and up
to date.

Our experience...

We just went the opposite way.  Last year we implemented CCA and did the
following:
"provided and supported" one AV
"basic support" of 2 other major products
"allowed" anything that CCA could detect (so as long as they had
something they would pass CCA tests) but it would not be supported at
all if it did not work or broke.

We found too many problems trying to tell people what we did or did not
provide for which products.  Also it caused issues when someone had
product X 2006 and it works (because CCA could check it) but then they
upgraded to product X 2007 and it stopped working because CCA had not
caught up yet.

We now only "provide, support and allow" one AV. We have had some
grumbling but those are far fewer than the ambiguous issues we faced
before.

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Lead Network Engineer