Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email Security Policies/Practices for Staff

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:20:28 -0500

Hello,

I'm interested to find out if institutions are implementing policies/practices/services on using email with sensitive
or confidential content. I'm thinking of staff working in HR, administration, financial, admissions, network
operations, etc. who want to (or do) use email and need end-to-end security services to reduce exposure to forgery and
information compromise. Services such as email authentication (digital signing via S/MIME or PGP) and/or encryption
(S/MIME, encrypted archives, key storage).

The issue comes up occasionally and people like me give the usual 'don't do it - it's not secure' line. I'd like to
look at recommending products and/or providing the services required.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto