Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Free SSL certs for .edu by company included in browser lists

From: Dick Jacobson <Dick.Jacobson () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:33:50 -0600

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Steve Lovaas wrote:

Against my wishes, we purchased a wildcard for one of our institutions
(*.<inst>.edu) about a month ago.  I was informed two days ago that it
does not play well with all the browsers (I think it was the recently
upgraded Outlook).

Everything at the third level of naming (www.<inst>.edu) will work but
anything above that (www.<dept>.<inst>.edu) fails.

The primary gotcha of using wildcard SSL certs (one cert valid for
*.yourorg.edu) is that you need to have a mechanism to distribute them
to everyone in your organization who wants to run an HTTPS site. If you
don't adequately protect this distribution mechanism, then someone can
bring up a rogue site in your org (so long as they can get the DNS and
firewall permissions right) with an SSL that guarantees the client that
they're connecting to a legitimate site hosted by you.

Also, you need to be very careful about expiration date, since a
wildcard cert would make ALL SSL-secured sites go invalid on the same
day some years in the future when you're probably no longer there to
remember what to do :)

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University

Jeff Giacobbe wrote:
<snip>

We have not tried the wildcard certificate yet (it almost sounds too
good to be true.) Has anyone had experience with wildcard certs - from
any vendor?  Are there any pitfalls to using one as opposed to a
traditional hostname-based cert?

<snip>
--
Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
Network & Security Resource Manager

Dick Jacobson                   e-mail : Dick.Jacobson () ndus NoDak edu
NDUS IT Security Officer        office : IACC 206, NDSU
ND HECN MultiUser Host SysAdd   phone  : 701-231-7385