Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password keepers (was Re: Password policy)

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:12:21 +1300

John Ladwig wrote:
All our administrative accounts for servers and infrastructure are
moanaged using PasswordSafe.

And I encourage people to use it for any other needs they might have,
but we don't insist on wide use, at this time.

passwordsafe is brilliant but I'm still looking for something for use on
Mac and Linux environments.  I've tried password grollia but having to
install all the TK/TCL stuff is a pain and, at least on the Mac I've not
managed to get it to work well enough to use.   Several colleagues use
it on Linux where the tcl/tk stuff is there by default.

I'm tempted to do something myself using fx-ruby which would tie into a
network based enterprise password repository but that will probably have
to wait until I have time, i.e. when I retire!

Russell