Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Too Many Exceptions in the Firewall

From: "Kellogg, Brian D." <bkellogg () SBU EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:17:04 -0500

Unfortunately you have two things going against you:

1. This looks to be a political problem.
2. You don't have the backing of your management.

Both are hard to overcome.

Perimeter firewalls still have their place, but they are not the end
all.

I would do the following things:

1. If you don't have a written policy that addresses these issues start
one and have management sign off on it.  Not sure how much clout that
would give you in the future, but at least its something in writing.

2. Offer other solutions; like VPN both client and clientless.  They
cost money, but I believe they would view their research as important
and want to protect it.

3. I would not allow firewall management by anyone outside of your
department.  Just my opinion...

4. I would also segregate the machines that are required to have outside
access to their own VLAN and treat them as a DMZ as much as possible
using VLAN ACLs.  Or better yet firewall their networks if possible.

My thoughts on this,

Brian