Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Complaints (was Re: DMCA (Ares and other))

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:49:00 -0400

My original survey (thanks to all that answered) was driven due to a
large number of complaints this year.  Last year we had almost none and
I believe it was in large part due to extensive shaping.

This year the number of RIAA complaints has jumped dramatically and
EVERY complaint this year is for the Ares program. I believe it is due
to Ares being encrypted (thus my survey).

For anyone not aware - Packeteer has even commented to us that the only
way to really affect Ares is to block it altogether.  This is because
the init is unencrypted and can be affected however you want (block,
shape).  But once the init is complete the sharing is done encrypted so
that you can't do much with it unless you have a tiny "default" bucket.
Since so much other "legitimate" traffic is in the default (many games
are here and can not be moved) we do not want to do that to the default.
(Again, thus my specific survey questions).

Thanks again to all those who answered my survey. I will give it a
couple more days and try to tally the yes/no questions.

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Lead Network Engineer
Information Technology Group