Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Deleting Online Predators Act

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:22:35 -0600

This bill (Deleting Online Predators Act) proposes to amend the section
of the Communications Act of 1934 that pertains to universal service.
Therefore, it would only apply to k-12 schools or public libraries that
are recipients of universal service funds (USF).  (The link below
incorrectly states that the bill would apply to anyone who is a
"receipient of federal funding".)  Note that DOPA proposes to amend
existing legislation that already requires USF recipients to enforce "a
policy of Internet safety for minors that includes monitoring the online
activities of minors and the operation of a technology protection
measure with respect to any of its computers with Internet access that
protects against access through such computers to visual depictions that
are obscene, child pornography; or harmful to minors".

Therefore, DOPA, if passed, would have little or no impact upon a
typical college or university.  We have been monitoring the legislation,
and I have attended some of the hearings because the issues present
broader concerns with respect to unnecessary controls over Internet
content.

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200