Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: GWU and content monitoring

From: Randy Marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:01:17 -0400

As a simplistic analogy - you can compare it to IDS/IPS technology.
While we all certainly have a percentage of encrypted traffic on the
network, anyone running IDS/IPS knows you still catch a *lot* of
illegitimate activity.

Well, I've always thought that IDS/IPS should show how well a site progresses
from cluelessness to cluefulness*. Awareness programs, modifications to
individual business unit practices, successful data classification programs,
security reviews, etc. all form a piece of the puzzle. I hope GWU is not
relying on any 1 piece to declare they're "data disclosure free".

I also worry about placing the onus of protection on the central IT group.
This makes all too easy for a dept to say "not our problem, THEY screwed up."
I modify Tip O'Neill's quote: "all security MUST be local".

        -Randy Marchany
        VA Tech IT Security Office/Lab

p.s. cluefulness: the state where an individual or dept. could get a clue by
rubbing themselves with clue musk oil and standing out in a field of horny
clues in the middle of clue mating season. (derived from a famous internet
yo-mama moment by V. Kletnieks)