Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Social Security Numbers and Self Service

From: "Faloba,Jodi L" <jfaloba () UAKRON EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:50:38 -0400

Our benefits department would like to start using an eBenefits
application so that they could eliminate the paper benefits enrollment
form.  However, this means that all employees would be able to view and
update their SSN and their dependent's SSN.  I do not feel very
comfortable doing this so I was wondering how other institutions have
addressed this.  In general, do you even allow your users to view SSNs
in self service applications?  What about update?

Many thanks in advance.

Jodi

Jodi Faloba
The University of Akron
Security Administrator, ITS - Application Services
Phone: 330.972.2398
Fax: 330.972.5238
E-mail: jfaloba () uakron edu