Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS

From: Wes Young <wcyoung () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:54:22 -0400

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 14:50 +0000, John Kaftan wrote:
Thanks to all who have responded to my IPS question.  Looks like Tipping
Point is the IPS of choice.  It looks like the Tipping Point is an in-line
device.  This works great for an internet connection but I am not sure how I
would use it to secure inter-VLAN traffic.  I am also concerned about
traffic between my VLANs.  Since I have a MSFC on a 6509 to handle my
routing.  I do not see where the Tipping Point device would sit.

I am thinking about moving to having a seperate FW to handle all of my
routing between VLANS  That way I could place the IPS in-line between my FW
and the core switch.    Also I would have added security of a firewall at
the core rather then just access lists.

I am wondering if any manufactures have included IPS in their firewall so I
could use one device to do it all.

Thoughts?

Check out the Juniper ISG lines....
--