Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re:

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:10:25 -0400

Hi John:
When working at Procter & Gamble I brought in and used ISS Proventia
devices as the IPS to protect our global infrastructure.  I really liked
the Proventia devices and what they provided for us but....  ISS tends
to be more expensive than Tipping Point. When I came to UC I found out
that we use Tipping point and are happy with that product.  When I
compared the cost to the University of Tipping point vs. the cost of the
ISS solution I purchased while in the corporate world I decided that
Tipping Point was definitely the better way to go.   Though, in fairness
I don't know if ISS has an Educational discount that would bring them
more in-line with Tipping Point's pricing.

I could be wrong with this next statement but I thought that the CISCO
MARS product was a monitoring and alerting tool that supplemented (not
replaced) an IDS/IPS system by helping eliminate false positives and
tracking down network issues, click on this link for a SANs writeup on
the product - bottom line was they loved the product:
http://www.sans.org/whatworks/casestudy.php?id=87

Hope this helps.
-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin