Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: In absentia BOF - Anti-virus in a Breach Disclosure World

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:42:48 -0400

Jim,

We are wrestling with this issue to. It is one of the
reasons we're moving to have our people operate their
computers with non-administrator accounts for day to
day use. It is also one of the reasons that we are
ramping up our forensics capabilities.

I see so much malware these days that is not detected
by AV software that I've lost almost all confidence
in it.

We try to base our response on the known contents of
the desktop and accounts used by the computer's
operator. If its known to contain sensitive data,
we'll image it and start a forensics investigation
that includes available network traffic logs.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer